Sunday, March 27, 2011

Intro

Lately, I've been trying out some lightweight Linux distros on my four-year-old desktop at home. The last couple of months, I've been trying out various distros with the Xfce and LXDE desktops. I also used the Openbox window manager for five minutes before becoming annoyed that I couldn't figure out how to customize it (apparently, it involves lots of text files). I've also noticed that, even on my higher-spec laptop, certain things (most notably Flash content) run much better on a lightweight desktop. This even applies to Xfce, which is often accused of not being truly lightweight.

I figured that my love of Linux and increasing aversion to feature-heavy desktops like GNOME formed a niche that was specific enough to be unusual, but also rich enough to generate a decent amount of blog content. Therefore, I decided to start a focused blog after a couple of years of blogging sporadically on various subjects in a rambling personal blog.

A word of caution: This blog only represents the experiences of one person, a person who is not the most hardcore Linux geek in the world. I don't know all the ins and outs of Linux, and my experiences reflect only the viewpoint of a modestly Linux-educated end user. Furthermore, I can only blog about what I experience on my computer. I have no idea how any software will run on your computer, or whether your particular hardware is compatible with a given distro. Like everything else on somebody's blog, everything written here is subjective.

No comments:

Post a Comment